What it is: A cyanobacterium of the genus Spirulina, it is a unique alga with abundant nutrients and pigments that grows in semi brackish water.
- Can help increase endurance and stamina
- Is a rich source of carotenoids
- May reduce cravings and appetite
- May support healthy immune function
- Can help promote healthy cholesterol levels and cardiovascular function
- Believed to have been a staple in the ancient Aztec diet, today Organic Spirulina is considered one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. The highest quality blue-green algae available, PHP`s Organic Spirulina is grown in a scientifically controlled environment, which allows us to guarantee there is no superior spirulina on the planet! Well known as an excellent source of easily digestible protein, our Organic Spirulina contains 100-plus health-promoting nutrients, including vitamin E, vegetarian B12, iron, calcium, protein, vitamins, minerals, all 9 essential amino acids, and chlorophyll. An excellent source of the rare but important fatty acid GLA, Organic Spirulina is also superabundant in antioxidants. No wonder it`s a favorite food of athletes, who use it for bodybuilding, energy and endurance. It is available in powder and tablets. Scientific studies at UC Davis show that Organic Spirulina may be the most potent immune boosting food ever studied. After only 2 weeks, gamma interferon and interleukin levels increased by up to 10 times. These are essential for the body to battle a wide variety of cellular imbalances. Our organic Spirulina is grown in closely monitored conditions in China in salt water.
- Various types of kelp and other sea plants have been used traditionally by coastal societies for centuries, the use of Spirulina as a food is a rather different story. Although its scientific documentation as a “superfood” did not occur until the 20th century, its first use was actually 200 years prior to that when a severe drought hit the South American continent. Facing starvation the indigenous people gathered green algae from tidal pools that were rapidly reproducing in the mid summer`s heat. It was not until World War II, however, when facing an embargo that the Japanese government created the Society for the Study of Algae. After intensive research two strains were found to have the perfect complement of protein, carbohydrates, minerals and essential fatty acids necessary to support human life. These were called Chlorella (grown in fresh water) and Spirulina (grown in salt water). A brilliant scientist named Dr. Hiroshi Nakamura then created unique aqua (water) culture models capable of producing many tons of this life giving superfood. After the war the project continued and Dr. Nakamura traveled to the United States to share his discovery with another brilliant phyco-biologist (sea plant biologist) named Dr. Christopher Hills. Together they planted the seeds of research over 30 years ago that have resulted in spirulina taking its place among the most powerful health promoting foods on earth.
- Spirulina is Nature`s Richest Food Source of:
- Vitamin B-12. It`s two to six times richer than the nearest rival, raw beef liver. B-12 is practically a synonym for high energy.
- Bio-chelated Organic Iron, which is completely nontoxic. It`s 58 times richer than raw spinach and 28 times richer than raw beef liver!
- Vitamin E. It`s 3 times richer than raw wheat germ and its biological activity is 49% greater than synthetic vitamin E.
- Beta-Carotene (Pro Vitamin A). It`s 25 times richer than raw carrots. Unlike the preformed vitamin A of synthetics and fish liver oils, beta-carotene is completely nontoxic even in mega doses.
- Antioxidants. It contains a spectrum of every natural antioxidant known, including: the antioxidant vitamins B-1 and B-6; the minerals zinc, manganese and copper; the amino acid methionine; and the super antioxidants beta-carotene, vitamin E and trace element selenium.
- Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA). Its oils are 3 times richer in GLA than evening primrose oil. Studies have indicated that GLA helps lower blood cholesterol and high blood pressure and eases such conditions as arthritis, premenstrual pain, eczema and other skin conditions.
- Chlorophyll – many times richer than alfalfa or wheat grass!
- Complete High-Biological Value Protein: Spirulina – 60-70%, Soybeans – 30-35%, Beef – 18-22%, Eggs – 12-16%, Tofu – 8%, Milk – 3%
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.